2021-01-25 06:14 CET

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0004644SpaceQuest3[All Projects] Generalpublic2021-01-17 18:49
Reporterapex 
Assigned ToJOTDProject InfoSpace Quest 3 (Sierra)
http://www.whdload.de/games/SpaceQuest3.html
 
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilityalways
StatusclosedResolutionfixed 
Summary0004644: Hello, it is about the GERMAN version of this game. The parser understand only
DescriptionGameVersion: german,pal,3 disks
SlaveVersion: 1.2-B

Hello,
it is about the GERMAN version of this game. The parser understand only words with German umlauts like Türe, but not Tuere.
If you need now to enter a GERMAN UMLAUT, you have to type o then press shift + ä on the german keyboard and the letter o will change to ö.
This is really painful, can it be changed in any way?!?
TagsNo tags attached.
MachineA2000
CPU68030
CPUSpeed50
ChipSetECS
GFXCardPicasso II+
ChipMem2 MB
FastMem32 MB
WorkbenchOS 3.1.4
KickROM45 - Kick 3.1.4
KickSoftNone
WHDLoad18.6beta
importedyes
Attached Files

-Relationships
+Relationships

-Notes

note ~0009382

JOTD (developer)

Last edited: 2020-12-31 17:36

View 2 revisions

note that to get umlaut you have to press "u" then shift "ä"

@Wepl is that even possible?

note ~0009394

Wepl (manager)

This is normal deadkey processing.
The game should get locale/host specific keyboard mapping.
Aka SETKEYBOARD.

note ~0009395

JOTD (developer)

then the alternative would be to change all umlauts words to words without it...

damn painful.

note ~0009402

Wepl (manager)

@apex does this problem also exist when playing from floppies?
Sounds unlikely to me.

note ~0009403

apex (reporter)

As far as I remember from the past there was not such a problem using floppy disks.
But I can check it.

note ~0009414

apex (reporter)

This games stays a mystery for me. The German version has a perfect text in the whole game using german umlauts ä ö ü. I tested it from disk and as hd installation under a workbench 1.3, where german umlauts are working in the shell, but not in the game. I checked the manual, there is nothing written how to enter the umlauts, but found a notice: To enter a ö, press ö and then shift + ä. Was not working under the 1.3 WB hd installation.
But you have the possibility to change input to english, but output stays German. Crazy.

If you are possible to enter a German umlaut, the parser is accepting it!
Öffne Türe is the same like open door.

A solution could be to patch the input somewhere... tomorrow I will check how the parser from Larry 3 is working in the German version.

note ~0009415

JOTD (developer)

game is using a custom keyboard read. Not related to the actual shell.

That explains why it's completely different from the shell behaviour.

Yes, there is this crazy language mixup option too... Game would need to be deeply resourced to fix the problem.

if you can enter umlauts in the shell, what keys are you pressing ? which ones in term of raw keys? (as shown here: http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/rawkey.html)

note ~0009416

apex (reporter)

Now ckecked German Larry 3, same here. :-(

To enter a ö, ü or ä, you have to enter o followed by shift ä.
To enter ä, you have to enter a followed by shift ä and
to enter ü, you have to enter u followed by shift ä.

Shift ä seems to change the entered letter to the version with umlauts.
Very, very strange.

An explanation for me, the game is not using the keymap from the OS, but still supporting german & english in one parser.

note ~0009417

apex (reporter)

Just the yellow marked keys. Using AmigaTestKit 1.16 I can tell you tomorrow the rae code for these keys.

Now I understand why Sierra Amiga games never was the best selling ones. :-)
People just could not play them. ;-)

Luckily they used this system only for Space Quest 3 & Larry 3.

note ~0009423

apex (reporter)

I made 3 pictures using AmiTestKit with the raw code and the position.
Maybe helpfully?

note ~0009458

JOTD (developer)

for french keyboard, I type "o" then shift+% (next to m) and I get the umlaut

note ~0009459

JOTD (developer)

found a way while inputting the text.

The new slave version is able to detect "oe" and "ue" sequences and replaces them by the corresponding umlaut.
Deleting an umlaut expands back to the sequence, just in case the umlaut is not what the user wanted.
+Notes

-Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2020-05-12 17:06 administrator New Issue
2020-05-12 17:06 administrator Status new => assigned
2020-05-12 17:06 administrator Assigned To => JOTD
2020-12-31 17:23 JOTD Note Added: 0009382
2020-12-31 17:36 JOTD Note Edited: 0009382 View Revisions
2021-01-02 01:04 Wepl Note Added: 0009394
2021-01-02 10:43 JOTD Note Added: 0009395
2021-01-03 21:45 Wepl Note Added: 0009402
2021-01-03 21:48 apex Note Added: 0009403
2021-01-05 22:20 apex File Added: 8AA5F181-C3B0-466D-9447-E857623C35D1.jpeg
2021-01-05 22:20 apex Note Added: 0009414
2021-01-05 22:20 apex File Added: CB8571FC-62A9-45E7-915C-1921FD8AFF4A.jpeg
2021-01-05 22:47 JOTD Note Added: 0009415
2021-01-05 22:48 JOTD Status assigned => feedback
2021-01-05 22:48 apex Note Added: 0009416
2021-01-05 22:48 apex Status feedback => assigned
2021-01-06 01:33 apex File Added: 7EA953C4-4B33-49E4-B76F-ACBBC4B4D367.png
2021-01-06 01:33 apex Note Added: 0009417
2021-01-06 14:53 apex File Added: D4F56051-9264-4F76-AE4A-EA4BBCC7FA44.jpeg
2021-01-06 14:53 apex Note Added: 0009423
2021-01-06 14:53 apex File Added: CFD78ECE-A1CD-404E-AC7F-1E4C56ACB3A6.jpeg
2021-01-06 14:54 apex File Added: D086F979-F3F7-45B7-9DC8-857828140D21.jpeg
2021-01-17 14:11 JOTD Note Added: 0009458
2021-01-17 18:49 JOTD Status assigned => closed
2021-01-17 18:49 JOTD Resolution open => fixed
2021-01-17 18:49 JOTD Note Added: 0009459
+Issue History