2023-12-09 13:39 CET

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0003756OilImperium[All Projects] Generalpublic2018-02-15 22:00
Assigned ToWeplProject InfoOil Imperium (reLINE)
Summary0003756: I've tested the Oil Imperium, Oil Imperium De and Black Gold with your
DescriptionGameVersion: english,pal,2 disks
SlaveVersion: All

I've tested the Oil Imperium, Oil Imperium De and Black Gold with your installs. With the Oil Imperium ones, the music in the drilling sequence is corrupt, but in Black Gold it's not. What can possible reasons for this be?
And a generic question about whdload patches in general. I notice that a lot of the releases have some additional data in the .info files. What is this data? Is it usually needed? It looks to me like some kind of binary encoded into text...
Would be happy if you were able to shed some light on the Oil Imperium thing. I tried both the versions found in a torrent on pleasuredome which was ready installed + I tried installing from my own disks with the Quartex version. Latter is confirmed non-corrupt when playing from disk directly.
TagsNo tags attached.
ChipMem2 MB
FastMem16 MB
WorkbenchOS 3.1
KickROM39 - Kick 3.0
KickSoft40 - Kick 3.1
Attached Files



note ~0005922

Wepl (manager)

Are you using the latest slave for all versions?
Extra icon data is probably newicon image data.

note ~0005924

trs (reporter)

I was initially using what was in the latest archive found on pleasuredome, which was the previous version for both games. Black Gold was working as it should, Oil Imperium had corrupted music in drilling sequence. I then attempted to do an install from my working Quartex crack with the latest slave for Oil Imperium, but still had the same issue with the drilling music, almost as if the samples themselves were corrupted or something.

note ~0005929

Wepl (manager)

Please try the NoCache tooltype.

note ~0005931

trs (reporter)

No difference. But I did an experiment which repaired the drilling tune, but corrupted the introtune ;) I copied all the files in the snd-dir from the Black Gold version over to the Oil Imperium version... so something is definitely getting messed up with the samples and I also think I found out what.

On Black Gold, there's a sound named 7000. On Oil Imperium on the other hand, there isn't. But there are TWO files named 4000, where it seems one of them is the one named 7000 on Black Gold, and since all files are being thrown into the same snd dir on the install, one is getting overwritten, or as I suspect in this case, the already existing file is not overwritten during install leaving the incorrect sample to be loaded for the drilling sequence.

note ~0006042

Wepl (manager)

Can you please test if the attached Slave fixes the problem?

note ~0006043

trs (reporter)

I will try this later tonight, thanks. Also, I know you've been revisiting this issue time after time, but some of the loops are still quite speedy compared to when running on a 68000. I have no idea how much work it is to finetune this further, and I guess it also must be tiresome to constantly compare to an A500 to achieve the same speeds. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

note ~0006044

trs (reporter)

Yes, this fixed the music. But the timing (on a 68030/50MHz, NoCache specified) is still too harsh on the drilling sequence and makes it ridiculously hard even on lower drilling speeds. I haven't tested the pipeline or fire sequences yet, but it's my guess they will be equally difficult.

Exactly how was the original timed? Or was it just running the loop as often it could and use that as an acceptable "timing"? :)

Appreciate your work on this, as it's easily one of my top 5 favorite games on the Amiga :)

note ~0006047

Wepl (manager)

I have released this new Slave.
The game used empty loops which run different on every equipment. So there was never a proper timing.
If you can assemble the Slave yourself you may play with the different timing fixes in the Slave. For me drilling is simple on a 68060 and other testers told me timing is ok now.

note ~0006050

trs (reporter)

Both the drilling and pipeline sequences are too fast. I'd happily try out some stuff with the source, but which of the loops controls what? I had a quick look at the .asm file, but not knowing too much 68K assembly to begin with and also not much in depth knowledge on how whdload works it didn't tell me all too much. Ideally I'd like to test slowing down so that each delay is twice as long as it is now. Also, with the current modification, does it run at same speed on all the faster setups? Drilling should be possible even at max pressure, but as it stands now I struggle even with it at 1/4 of max.

-Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2017-12-11 15:35 administrator New Issue
2017-12-11 15:35 administrator Status new => assigned
2017-12-11 15:35 administrator Assigned To => Wepl
2017-12-11 16:05 administrator Reporter Tom => trs
2017-12-11 16:05 administrator Description Updated View Revisions
2017-12-11 16:08 Wepl Note Added: 0005922
2017-12-11 18:37 trs Note Added: 0005924
2017-12-11 23:19 Wepl Note Added: 0005929
2017-12-12 02:19 trs Note Added: 0005931
2018-02-15 15:42 Wepl File Added: OilImperium.Slave
2018-02-15 15:42 Wepl Note Added: 0006042
2018-02-15 16:08 trs Note Added: 0006043
2018-02-15 19:45 trs Note Added: 0006044
2018-02-15 20:25 Wepl Note Added: 0006047
2018-02-15 20:25 Wepl Status assigned => resolved
2018-02-15 20:25 Wepl Resolution open => fixed
2018-02-15 22:00 trs Note Added: 0006050
+Issue History