WHDLoad MantisBT - SpaceQuest3
View Issue Details
0004644SpaceQuest3[All Projects] Generalpublic2020-05-12 17:062021-01-17 18:49
Assigned ToJOTD 
PlatformOSOS Version
Product Version 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
GFXCardPicasso II+
ChipMem2 MB
FastMem32 MB
WorkbenchOS 3.1.4
KickROM45 - Kick 3.1.4
Summary0004644: Hello, it is about the GERMAN version of this game. The parser understand only
DescriptionGameVersion: german,pal,3 disks
SlaveVersion: 1.2-B

it is about the GERMAN version of this game. The parser understand only words with German umlauts like Türe, but not Tuere.
If you need now to enter a GERMAN UMLAUT, you have to type o then press shift + ä on the german keyboard and the letter o will change to ö.
This is really painful, can it be changed in any way?!?
TagsNo tags attached.
Attached Filesjpeg 8AA5F181-C3B0-466D-9447-E857623C35D1.jpeg (111,539) 2021-01-05 22:20

jpeg CB8571FC-62A9-45E7-915C-1921FD8AFF4A.jpeg (54,749) 2021-01-05 22:20

png 7EA953C4-4B33-49E4-B76F-ACBBC4B4D367.png (59,194) 2021-01-06 01:33

jpeg D4F56051-9264-4F76-AE4A-EA4BBCC7FA44.jpeg (49,333) 2021-01-06 14:53

jpeg CFD78ECE-A1CD-404E-AC7F-1E4C56ACB3A6.jpeg (50,355) 2021-01-06 14:53

jpeg D086F979-F3F7-45B7-9DC8-857828140D21.jpeg (50,815) 2021-01-06 14:54

2020-12-31 17:23   
(Last edited: 2020-12-31 17:36)
note that to get umlaut you have to press "u" then shift "ä"

@Wepl is that even possible?

2021-01-02 01:04   
This is normal deadkey processing.
The game should get locale/host specific keyboard mapping.
2021-01-02 10:43   
then the alternative would be to change all umlauts words to words without it...

damn painful.
2021-01-03 21:45   
@apex does this problem also exist when playing from floppies?
Sounds unlikely to me.
2021-01-03 21:48   
As far as I remember from the past there was not such a problem using floppy disks.
But I can check it.
2021-01-05 22:20   
This games stays a mystery for me. The German version has a perfect text in the whole game using german umlauts ä ö ü. I tested it from disk and as hd installation under a workbench 1.3, where german umlauts are working in the shell, but not in the game. I checked the manual, there is nothing written how to enter the umlauts, but found a notice: To enter a ö, press ö and then shift + ä. Was not working under the 1.3 WB hd installation.
But you have the possibility to change input to english, but output stays German. Crazy.

If you are possible to enter a German umlaut, the parser is accepting it!
Öffne Türe is the same like open door.

A solution could be to patch the input somewhere... tomorrow I will check how the parser from Larry 3 is working in the German version.
2021-01-05 22:47   
game is using a custom keyboard read. Not related to the actual shell.

That explains why it's completely different from the shell behaviour.

Yes, there is this crazy language mixup option too... Game would need to be deeply resourced to fix the problem.

if you can enter umlauts in the shell, what keys are you pressing ? which ones in term of raw keys? (as shown here: http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/rawkey.html)
2021-01-05 22:48   
Now ckecked German Larry 3, same here. :-(

To enter a ö, ü or ä, you have to enter o followed by shift ä.
To enter ä, you have to enter a followed by shift ä and
to enter ü, you have to enter u followed by shift ä.

Shift ä seems to change the entered letter to the version with umlauts.
Very, very strange.

An explanation for me, the game is not using the keymap from the OS, but still supporting german & english in one parser.
2021-01-06 01:33   
Just the yellow marked keys. Using AmigaTestKit 1.16 I can tell you tomorrow the rae code for these keys.

Now I understand why Sierra Amiga games never was the best selling ones. :-)
People just could not play them. ;-)

Luckily they used this system only for Space Quest 3 & Larry 3.
2021-01-06 14:53   
I made 3 pictures using AmiTestKit with the raw code and the position.
Maybe helpfully?
2021-01-17 14:11   
for french keyboard, I type "o" then shift+% (next to m) and I get the umlaut
2021-01-17 18:49   
found a way while inputting the text.

The new slave version is able to detect "oe" and "ue" sequences and replaces them by the corresponding umlaut.
Deleting an umlaut expands back to the sequence, just in case the umlaut is not what the user wanted.

Issue History
2020-05-12 17:06administratorNew Issue
2020-05-12 17:06administratorStatusnew => assigned
2020-05-12 17:06administratorAssigned To => JOTD
2020-12-31 17:23JOTDNote Added: 0009382
2020-12-31 17:36JOTDNote Edited: 0009382bug_revision_view_page.php?bugnote_id=9382#r1298
2021-01-02 01:04WeplNote Added: 0009394
2021-01-02 10:43JOTDNote Added: 0009395
2021-01-03 21:45WeplNote Added: 0009402
2021-01-03 21:48apexNote Added: 0009403
2021-01-05 22:20apexFile Added: 8AA5F181-C3B0-466D-9447-E857623C35D1.jpeg
2021-01-05 22:20apexNote Added: 0009414
2021-01-05 22:20apexFile Added: CB8571FC-62A9-45E7-915C-1921FD8AFF4A.jpeg
2021-01-05 22:47JOTDNote Added: 0009415
2021-01-05 22:48JOTDStatusassigned => feedback
2021-01-05 22:48apexNote Added: 0009416
2021-01-05 22:48apexStatusfeedback => assigned
2021-01-06 01:33apexFile Added: 7EA953C4-4B33-49E4-B76F-ACBBC4B4D367.png
2021-01-06 01:33apexNote Added: 0009417
2021-01-06 14:53apexFile Added: D4F56051-9264-4F76-AE4A-EA4BBCC7FA44.jpeg
2021-01-06 14:53apexNote Added: 0009423
2021-01-06 14:53apexFile Added: CFD78ECE-A1CD-404E-AC7F-1E4C56ACB3A6.jpeg
2021-01-06 14:54apexFile Added: D086F979-F3F7-45B7-9DC8-857828140D21.jpeg
2021-01-17 14:11JOTDNote Added: 0009458
2021-01-17 18:49JOTDStatusassigned => closed
2021-01-17 18:49JOTDResolutionopen => fixed
2021-01-17 18:49JOTDNote Added: 0009459